Our 2-week teacher refresher courses are for overseas teachers of English who would like to update their knowledge of methodology and teaching materials, and to broaden their linguistic and cultural awareness.
The course explores recent and current theory and practice, focusing on methodology, materials and advanced language analysis. It also includes a range of social and cultural activities. The training style is interactive, with workshops as well as presentations, and intended to promote discussion.
This course is aimed at non-native speakers who have experience of teaching English and hold a teaching qualification from their own country.
- To explore the latest methodologies and best practice to enhance teaching skills
- To gain a deeper understanding of the English language
- To share ideas and experience with fellow language-teaching professionals
- Minimum CEFR C1
- Classes of 5 – 10 students
- Professional teacher training tuition with experienced teacher trainers, all of whom have DELTA qualifications and/or higher degrees (Master’s or PhD)
- The courses have been created by Dr Sarah Ekdawi, an Oxford University Research Fellow who also teaches on the course (Bio: http://www.mod-langs.ox.ac.uk/ekdawi)
- Half-board (bed, breakfast & dinner) single room homestay accommodation according to our current price list
In these sessions, various aspects of foreign language pedagogy will be presented and discussed, including different ways of teaching new language, such as communicative, lexical and task-based approaches. Participants are encouraged to share their experiences and views.
Advanced Language Awareness
These sessions will focus on pedagogical grammar and aspects of lexis such as morphology, collocations and idioms.
Teaching the Four Skills
Ways of teaching the skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking (including pronunciation) will be discussed. The focus will be on practical activities for classroom use, including poems, stories and songs. These sessions will be workshop-based and will include hands-on materials design.
Course dates and fees
07-01-2019 « » 18-01-2019
05-08-2019 « » 16-08-2019
Other dates available by arrangement for groups of a minimum of 6 people.
Full cost of the course is GBP 1,040.00 This includes:
- 20 academic hours’ classes per week
- Welcome pack
- All learning materials
- Free WiFi
- Free access to our ICT suite
- A guided tour of Oxford
- Traditional English cream tea afternoon with the teacher trainer
- End of course certificate
The cost of the course does not include the registration fee.
Students on this course also have access to all parts of our wonderful school, including our spacious and comfortable student lounge, tuck shop and games area